Welcome to the blog, Colorado Preppers. Prepping doesn't mean we think the apocolypse is coming or the earth will blow up. It simply means that we are preparing for any eventuality that may strike here in Colorado (USA) ... from swine/bird flu to blizzards to global financial collapse to loss of income and more. // Come learn with us about things like water purifying and collecting, inventory checks and more. However, we are NOT political and not affiliated with any specific religion or group. // FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE GO TO WWW.SURVIVAL-COOKING.BLOGSPOT.COM OR TO FIND OUT ABOUT MY BOOKS ON THESE AND OTHER TOPICS, GO TO WWW.VIKKI-LAWRENCE-WILLIAMS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Survival Preparedness - My Personal Journey



G.O.O.D. Bag Accessories

#1 Self Protection

Aside from the four essentials (shelter, fire, food and water), a means to protect yourself is the most important item or accessory in your GOOD bag. I guess, technically, it won't be inside your bag... schemantics...

I can understand some people's hesitation with a side arm. I think the good in everyone wants to believe that it is not a necessary item. For me, I would prefer to error on the side of caution and never have to use mine than be caught in a situation where I needed it and did not have one. I've been watching reruns of a BBC series call Survivors. The show is based in Great Britain and in the wake of a super virus apocalypse a group of people immune to the disease band together and strike out to make a new life. While the show is fantastically entertaining, it is bothersome in that the group regularly places themselves in situations where they are unable to protect their members or their limited supplies. I find it very unrealistic that anyone in any type of survival situation would be able to make it very long with a sidearm. Maybe things are different in England?

I am currently looking at purchasing the Springfield Armory XD .45 ACP or a Springfield Armory XD .45 in the 5" tactical length. Both are a polymer framed pistols that feed from a double stack magazine which holds thirteen cartridges. What I like a lot about the XD is the grip safety that will not allow the weapon to fire unless it is depressed, which happens naturally when the pistol is held properly, but automatically goes "on safe" when the grip is released, such as if the weapon is dropped or re-holstered. I find that it sits very comfortably in my hand (which are not petite but I would say fairly average in size) and is one of the driving reasons behind my consideration of the XD model. Most all the reviews comment on the ergonomics of the grip and how well the XD fits most average sized hands. Conversely the Glock Model 21 .45 G.A.P. pistol has a notoriously bulky grip though they have introduced a Model 37 that is slightly smaller and easier to handle. Unlike some, I have never developed the "appreciation" for the Glock pistols. Though one attribute they share in common with the XD is their trigger safety. The trigger has two interdependent parts that when held and fired properly will operate naturally. However, unintentional pressure or a strike against the trigger is unlikely to do so.

Something super cool about the XD is the fact that you can drag this pistol through a swamp and come out the other side firing. Here is a pretty amazing link to a torture test the XD 9mm survived. Granted it's not the .45 but it's still crazy cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XTPbPNWCV0

I hope it will never has to go through so much but it is insanely reassuring to know that it could and would still operate as efficiently as it does all clean and shiny new.

With your sidearm you also have to consider how much ammunition to carry. I have read that approximately 200 rounds is the drop dead minimum to consider carrying to get you to your retreat but ideally 1000 rounds is a safer bet. Thinking about that... 200 rounds of .45 ACP ammunition weighs about 40 pounds, 1000 rounds weighs over 200 pounds. I don't know about you but I couldn't carry 200 pounds on top of the weight of everything else in my bag. So I am planning on having four magazines loaded with 52 rounds and about 200 additional rounds stored in an ammo pouch that can attach to the outside of my G.O.O.D bag. The rest of my ammunition will be stored in a waterproof ammo box that I can throw in the back of my Jeep. I hope that if the time comes I will be able to make most of the journey out of dodge in my Jeep but I think I need to face up to the fact that some or all of the trip could be on foot.

Note to Self: find a retreat that isn't too far away...

Next post: G.O.O.D. Bag Accessories #2 Communication and Electronic Accessories (toys) for your bag

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I appreciate your comments regarding preparations of your GOOD bag and further assuring your safety via the purchase of a sidearm. The one part of your plan that screams out at me is your "getting of dodge, via your Jeep." As a traveling RN, I spent many years contracted to a company that spent a tremendous amount of time on the disaster preparedness of their medical professionals. During that training we learned the greatest threat to our security and current way of life is that of an EMP/Electromagnetic Pulse. One such device strategically exploded over the midwest would instantly shut down the grid coast-to-coast and not in a manner that could be brought back on-line in short order. It is quite possible that it would take months or years to restore the grid.
Thus my point....if your Jeep is your only means of escaping dodge, my friend you are in trouble! If your vehicle is new enough to have electronic ignition, it too will be toast in the event of an EMP. You are correct in your assessment when considering that your trip may be on foot! The alternative would be the purchase of an old Surburban, Jeep, or the like, that has a carburetor. I encourage you to read an article from the November/December 2011 issue of Backwoods Home Magazine, entitled "The Last Word The threat of electromagnetic pulse!" For those unfamilar with EMP, this article is an eye opener. For others like me, that have been hearing this term tossed around in preparedness circles for the past
5+ years, it creates a knot in my stomach.

Blessings,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Sharon - I hear you on the EMP business. Here's to hoping we never encounter one.

Cheers, Sumac